Examples of Assessment Tools
Make Assessment Routine
What are the advantages of doing assessment througout the semester?
(1) Improved understanding of learning needs.
(2) Opportunity for structured dialogue about teaching and learning with students.
(3) Evidence for teaching portfolio.
Assisting with Data Collection
Students working for SATAL are trained to gather, analyze and report indirect evidence in support of student learning outcomes. SATAL students can lead a number of services, depending on the type of feedback instructors or programs want to obtain (see options below).
American Public University System: Assessment Terms Glossary
Class Assessment Options
A growing body of research stresses the important role that prior knowledge plays in student learning. Instructors who seek this prior knowledge are taking a very direct interest in the students. If instructors expose what students already know, they will have more success in attaching new knowledge to the schematic frameworks that students bring to class. Capturing students’ questions at the beginning of the semester also provides an interesting way to refine the curriculum around student needs (Fleming, 2003).
The data collected through needs assessment tools will benefit instructors and students alike:
1) It will provide students with a clear and understandable vision of the learning target.
2) It will guide instructors to shape assignments to develop the target skills and concepts that students find most challenging.
3) Instructors will identify what activities engage students most productively.
4) What interventions advance student progress.
Source: Fleming, Neil. Establishing Rapport: Personal Interaction and Learning. Idea Paper # 39.IDEA Center Website.
Research shows that mid-course feedback activities improve the instructional experience for both faculty and students. The best result is when faculty seek mid-course feedback, discuss it in class, and then act on it.
Mid-course feedback: (1) allow students to reflect on course goals and individual progress, (2) inform the instructor about what is working and not working in the course, and (3) recognize that the instructor cares about their learning. Midsemester feedback is a tool to give instructors and students information on how the class is going and what might be done to improve the learning environment. Request SATAL services to discover students' concerns before it's too late and keep results confidential.
The following links will provide more information on mid-course evaluations: North Carolina State University, Office of Faculty Development: Mid-Semester Evaluations
An exit survey / interview is usually conducted with graduating students to assess what should be improved, changed, or remain intact. More so, a class/ program can use exit interviews to reduce absenteeism, improve innovation, and increase engagement and retention. It is important for each class/ program to customize its own exit interview according to its own needs.
Surveys of General Applicability
- Class Entry Survey
- Entry Survey (Online Option)
- Mid-Course Feedback
- Exit Survey
- Samples of mid-semester assessment from other universities, University of Central Florida, University of Southern Maine.
|Discipline Specific Tools||
|School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts||WRI 101||Course Evaluation Form||BIO 001|
|School of Natural Sciences||
PHYS 008 (abridged version)
|School of Engineering||ME 021||Course Evaluation Form|
Connect with SATAL on Facebook!
- Teaching Assistants
- TA Orientation
- Teaching Matters
- Special Topics
- CETL Instructional Internship
- CETL Graduate Student Fellowship
- Collaborative Projects
- Past Grant Opportunities
- Individual Consultations Form
- Picture Gallery
- Academic Technology
- English Language Institute